Font: Contrast:

In the fourteenth century, the original eleventh-century gord was replaced with the Castle founded by King Casimir the Great. It had been rebuilt many times. Finally, consisting of three wings, the seat of the royal dukes and governors, it was blown up in 1656 by the Swedes. The least damaged west wing was converted into the free-standing building of a palace type, which has lasted until the present times.

 

▲ back to top